In case you all weren't aware yet, my husband is a rock-star! You should all be jealous that you can't be married to him. (And, just so you're aware, the only sister-wives I'd be ok with are Zooey Deschanel, Anna Kendrick, or Jennifer Lawrence. Sorry friends.)
Right around when we got married, Nate decided he wanted to come up with the recipe for the best biscuits and gravy in existence. He's tweaked his recipe probably a good fifty times in the past two and a half years and, I have to say, he's finally nailed the recipe perfectly!
Sausage and Mushroom Gravy:
1 Pound Ground Breakfast Sausage
2 Teaspoons Rosemary
2 Teaspoons Thyme
3 Cloves Pressed Garlic
1 Pound Mushrooms
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1/4 Cup Flour
2-3 Cups Milk
1. Brown the sausage, rosemary, and thyme on medium high heat.
2. When the sausage is 75% browned add the mushrooms and garlic. Cook until the sausage is completely done. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Sprinkle the flour over the sausage mixture and stir until flour dissolves into the mixture.
4. Pour milk into the pan, filling it just less than covering all the sausage mixture and stir until the milk starts to boil.
5. Lower heat to medium high and stir occasionally until the mixture thickens up.
(Adapted from the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook)
2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 Cup White Flour
1 Tablespoon Sugar
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1 Tablespoon Rosemary
1 Tablespoon Thyme
3/4 Teaspoon Cream of Tarter
3/4 Cup Melted Butter
1 1/2 Cups Buttermilk
1/4 Cup Seven Grain Cereal
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Mix together the flours, Sugar, Salt, Baking Powder, Rosemary, Thyme, and Cream of Tarter.
3. Mix in the melted butter and buttermilk.
4. Drop dough into little mounds one inch apart on a cookie sheet and sprinkle seven seven grain cereal on top of the dough.
5. Bake 10-14 minutes or until golden.
Please try this recipe and let me know if you're in a agreement about Nate creating the perfect recipe.