What is it about winter that makes me want to chow down on everything sweet. Seriously, you guys, when the weather is nice and sunny I can happily go weeks without a sweet treat but when it gets cold and rainy sweet treats sound heavenly! Do any of you have that problem?
This winter my heart's desire is all the chocolate and peppermint. All the chocolate and peppermint. With Thanksgiving coming up I thought it would be the best idea in the world to bring... You guessed it... Chocolate peppermint desserts! Thanks to WinCo (best grocery store of ALL TIME!) and their coupons I came up with some awesome treats to bring with me.
Lucky you, I'm sharing the recipes! <3
5 cups Rice Chex cereal
10 ounces *melting* chocolate (I used vanilla almond bark and dark chocolate)
1 cup crushed candy canes
1 cup powdered sugar
1. Melt chocolate according to package directions. In a large bowl fold Chex cereal and chocolate together. Fold in crushed candy canes.
2. Pour powdered sugar into a gallon sized ziplock bag. Add the Chex cereal mix to the bag, seal the bag, and shake everything together.
1 box Betty Crocker Devil's Food cake mix
1 3.9-oz box instant chocolate pudding mix
1/2 cup Water
1/2 cup Vegetable oil
1/2 cup Whiskey
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup crushed candy canes
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine all the cake ingredients and beat with an electric beater.
3. Pour cake batter evenly into two greased 9 inch cake pans.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
5. Let cakes stand for 30 minutes.
6. While cake is standing, combine frosting ingredients and beat with an electric beater for approximately 3 minutes or until peaks appear when you lift the beater.
7. Once cake is cooled place one of the cakes onto a serving plate. Top that cake with a thick layer of whipped cream. Top the whipped cream with the second cake and top that with the rest of the whipped cream. Sprinkle crushed candy canes on the top of the cake.
Winco is offering each of you the opportunity to win a $100 gift card to the store! I know I would LOVE to win so if you don't enter that would be great - more opportunity for ME to win. ;-) Even if you don't enter to win (why WOULDN'T you?!?!?), you could still get a few coupons to make some sweet treats for yourself!